Re: [T3] excessive fuel consumption

On 18 Apr 2001, at 18:49, dubdriver wrote:

> I've just recently restored my 72 to the original fuel injection
> system. The car runs fine, no black smoke, has good low end power,
> idles fine but......it's getting about 12mpg!!   No fuel can be seen
> leaking anywhere, crankcase is not filling up with gas......the oil
> does have a bit of a gas smell and does seem to be a bit "thin".  All
> vacuum hoses are properly attached and I cannot hear any vacuum leaks.
>   If I pinch off the hose to the air pressure sensor the engine dies
> immediately....any ideas?

A couple:

1) Is your odometer working properly. They often aren't.

2) Measure the charging system voltage after a drive, at the battery,
at med RPM. It should be above 14V. If it is less than 13.5V replace
the voltage regulator as low system voltage will make the FI run
rich.

3) Put a clean hose on the pressure sensor and suck or blow in it.
Verify that the pressure sensor is airtight. A large leak there will
make things run rich.

4) Make sure that your timing is set right. Your 72 requires a unique
timing scheme. Only the Bentley manual explains this scheme
correctly.