RE: Muffler type?

jmillheiser@yahoo.com said
i thought QPs were supposed to be pretty quiet?
 how much louder than stock are they? and wouldn't the resonator
 tips just make it louder?(e.g. a ricer tip on a honda)

-------------------------------------
I thought they were quiet too but to me they are not, well at
least not to me. The stock system I heard on our group member
Mark Healey's car, made the car just purr quietly. The dual quiet
pack sounds rumbling . in order to  make a car quiet, at least
some flow restriction is needed. In a headered system,
this is desireable because of it's extractor type scavanging
of high speed exhaust gasses. This is for better engine efficiency at
low speeds and keeps exhaust vaves from burning prematurely, kind
of reducing the opposite of a cold wind chill on the exhaust valves
,(hot furnace blast).
In detroit monsters it is undesireable to have way too much flow in the
exaust system unless one uses the engine for high speed racing and
owners perform special treatments to head and valves.

Going back to my muffler, I added little glasspacks tips instead
of the standard chrome pipe tips at the end of my quiet mufflers,
this reduced the sound a good bit but not a lot. I was satisfied.
The little glasspacks have the center diameter slightly smaller
than the diameter of the actual ending exhaust pipe on the
muffler. Those giant megaphone tips on those Hondas create
a low sound rumble especially if the regular muffler has been removed.
What I have done was resonating my dualpacks with exhaust tips.
Some make the ewxhaust louder others make it quieter. Volvo for example
quiets their cars with two mufflers in series, without the two mufflers,
the car known for being quiet, will have an ugly rumble.

The final diameter of both of my added tips is larger than the single
quietpack anyhow. I like my system eventhough it is cheaply
made and fragile system from bugpack.

LEON MARTINEZ

1969 SQUAREBACK EFI/AUTO
SAN DIEGO AND TIJUANA