RE: [T3] Floor pan replacement (3 point seatbelts)

On 16 Apr 2001, at 11:06, Thorkhild wrote:

> i Know for Washington State that in 68 the fronts had to have shoulder belts
> and I think in 73 or 74 the rear had to have them aswell. Thats why the '74
> KGs were sold as 2 seaters cause Vw couldn't put the shoulder belts in the
> back. I think Hot Vw's covered it last summer in one of their Karmann Ghia
> articles.

In the US:

Front lap belts were required in 64

Front 3-point belts were required in 68

I THINK rear lap belts were required in 68

I'm pretty sure there was no rear 3-point requirement up to at least
90.

I'm pretty sure that no air cooled bugs ever had rear 3-point belts.
The type 1 Karman Ghia (last year 74) would have had no more
trouble putting in rear 3-points than it did with the front 3-points, but
it never faced that threat. For all I know they may have had upper
outer anchors??? Russ?

All this is just the US regs. Other parts of the world were obviously
different, and anyone could have installed anything later, or by the
dealer.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org