Re: [T3] Auto Trans Governor Questions

Subject: [T3] Auto Trans Governor Questions

>    My Tranny was going together all good until I got to the Governor. My
> Governor shaft has a square hole in the end of it, there was nothing in
that
> hole when I pulled it out of the Tranny originally.
>    Now, the Governor that I got from the wrecker also has this square hole
> in the end. But in that square hole in a square piece of key shaft w/a
round
> sleeve over part of it.
>    I put my Goveror on the Tranny and it can be spun freely, no resistance
> at all. The wrecker Governor has to be turned until that square key shaft
> falls into place, and then it will only turn slightly back and forth.
>    Which one of these is correct? I don't want to twist anything off the
> first time the engine spins over!

The square key in the end of the governor shaft is correct. It engages with
a drive gear in the differential housing. It will only turn just a little
bit from the back lash in the gear and the fit up of the key in it's hole.
If your orginal one did not have this square key, you had better look for
it. It could be running around loose in the differentail housing, and this
is not good. I would pull the drain plug, and see if it comes out with the
differential grease. From there, get a magnet on a flexible shaft, and fish
around inside the differential. BUT, FIND THIS PIECE!!!!
This is not an uncommon problem with the governor on a T-3 automatic.

Russ Wolfe
russw@classicvw.org
http://www.classicvw.org/