[T3] Auto Trans Governor Questions

   My Tranny was going together all good until I got to the Governor. My
Governor shaft has a square hole in the end of it, there was nothing in that
hole when I pulled it out of the Tranny originally.
   Now, the Governor that I got from the wrecker also has this square hole
in the end. But in that square hole in a square piece of key shaft w/a round
sleeve over part of it.
   I put my Goveror on the Tranny and it can be spun freely, no resistance
at all. The wrecker Governor has to be turned until that square key shaft
falls into place, and then it will only turn slightly back and forth.
   Which one of these is correct? I don't want to twist anything off the
first time the engine spins over!