Re: [T3] Carbs vs FI

On 9 Apr 2001, at 19:57, Keith Park wrote:

> Jimm.... My ears are ringing!!  Both the stock FI and dual carb setups
> are Stock 65HP... how can the carbs give better performance??  if you
> put bigger carbs on it will just run too rich, carbon things up and
> dilute the oil... youd have to do other things to harness all that
> extra fuel your introducing. Right?

The point I was trying to make was that I think it is POSSIBLE to get
more power with carbs. I think we have to keep in mind that VW had a
lot of things on their mind when they designed these systems, not
just performance, but also fuel economy, emissions, safety,
durability....

If you are willing to sacrifice the others in order to gain
performance I think it is clear that this is POSSIBLE. OTOH, I agree
with everything that you have posted which has been to claim that
this outcome, while possible, is UNLIKELY.

Most people fail at the attempt and the car ends up in the salvage
yard within 2 years. Not all, just most. The problem is that most
owners expect carbs to be a quick, simple solution to a problem and
they usually turn out to be a more complicated solution than the
original problem.

On top of this, FI problems tend to have rather cheap solutions once
you find them. Much cheaper than switching to carbs.

I am a strong advocate of the FI. I believe it will give you the best
tradeoff between all-weather drivability, performance, durability,
and emissions. It can be a real BEAR for the beginner to
troubleshoot, but there has never been a better resource for the
beginner than this list.