Re: [T3] Orphan FI Thermo Switch?

Subject: Re: [T3] Orphan FI Thermo Switch?

> Jim Adney wrote:
>
> > On 9 Apr 2001, at 18:43, Fuhriman, Mark wrote:
> >

> > > Let me make sure I'm with you:  On my car, wire #18 should run
> > > directly from the ECU to terminal 50 on the starter solenoid.
> >
> > I've never managed to memorize the German wire # system, but if
> > 50 is the one that comes from the ignition switch, then that's the
> > one.
>
> 50 is the starter signal from the switch to the starter solenoid. 30 is
> constant positive, 31 is ground and 15 is ignition positive (i.e. "ON")

The wiring on the cold start valve was: terminal 50 of the starter solenoid
to one of the terminals of the valve. From the other terminal of the valve,
it went to the "orphan" temperature sensor terminal on the block. This
should only have 1 terminal. This thermal switch is normally open above
about 35 degrees F. Below this temperature the switch closed and provided a
ground for the CSV. The CSV does not get any power except while cranking,
and does not have a ground above 35 degree's.

Russ Wolfe
russw@classicvw.org
http://www.classicvw.org/