Re: [T3] Auto Tranny Questions Pt. 2

On 10 Apr 2001, at 3:23, Greg Mielke wrote:

> If I do find a spring that meets the specs in the Bentley Manual,
> or is very close with a Digital Caliper, it should work right? What
> effect would a slightly shorter/longer or stiffer/weaker spring have?

If you can find or make a spring that is the right OD, length, wire
diameter, and turns, then it will have all the rest of the correct
properties.

Try a hardware store. Try making your own; you can do this on a
lathe if you can get spring wire of the right diameter. Music wire is
a good choice and can be found in almost any size. I have gotten
some from a local piano repair shop that stocked rolls and rolls of
every imaginable size.

The trick is getting it wound to the right OD. You would have to
experiment with various sized mandrels. Then you wind the spring,
trim to the right number of turns, and stretch to the right length.

Did anyone confirm that the 72-3 tranny actually HAS this spring?

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054