Re: [T3] Smoke?

GeraldR=> When I first start it up it, the smoke comes
            => right out of the defrost vents.

Visible smoke in the defrosters is more that I'd expect you could get from
the usual exhaust leak.

OK, a simple test: Get under the car and remove the two big flexible metal
air pipes connecting the heat system with the body.  Then you can simply
look to determine whether it's coming from the heat system and from which
side.

If you have visible smoke coming from your heat system, you may have a
cracked manifold inside an exchanger. That it gets better as it warms up may
be the crack closing up as the metal expands. The only way I know to pin
this down is to pull the exchangers off and pressure-test them. As you're
tearing that all down, look for cracks around the head connections and
especially around the exhaust, since that's where there's the most leverage
to cause this sort of damage. Keep looking for a simpler problem.

Smoky exhaust still means oil burning that shouldn't be, so I'd say you
could profit from pulling this motor and giving it a real good going-over.
But be sure to thank the car -- if you really have a cracked manifold, clean
exhaust might have killed you.

Steven Ayres, Prescott AZ
'66 Grosse Karmann