[T3] Orphan FI Thermo Switch?

After Leon made me pull out my Bentley for that pressure switch question, I am reminded of a quirky thing on my engine I've been meaning to ask about.  I have a stock '69 Fastback, MT, with a later (71? I think) case and '69 FI system.

I have no trace of any kind of cold-starting device or relay that I guess was optional on the 68-69 cars.  But I *do* have a thermo switch just like the one illustrated on Fig 7.10 in Bentley.  And it has a wire going into the wiring harness.

Is this thermo switch doing anything?  From what I have read, this switch is used only to trigger the cold start device.  Does it do anything else?  Maybe that part is just a leftover from the 71 case that was used in a past rebuild?

-Mark Fuhriman