Re: [T3] Auto Tranny Questions

On 8 Apr 2001, at 5:04, Greg Mielke wrote:

> >Have you been able to verify that the vacuum modulator is functional?
> >You should be able to do that by just sucking on it and seeing if the
> >plunger that goes in it is free to move as the diphram moves.
>
> I tested the vacuum modulator with a hand held vacume pump and it moved but
> wouldn't hold the vacuum. I was able to order a replacement (from the local
> Bumper to Bumper store of all places!) But how do I adjust the modulator, I
> don't have pressure gauges to monitor tranny pressure while I fiddle with
> the modulator.

A leaky diaphram is only a problem if it leaks enough to fill the
vacuum hose with oil. If you don't find that hose filled with oil
then the leak isn't big enough to worry about.

I prefer to do this by the book with gauges, but you should be able
to do something approximate by just adjusting to get the shift points
right. OE VMs adjust with an Allen wrench, aftermarket units use a
flat blade screwdriver. Turn CW to lower the shift points, CCW to
raise it. This becomes tough, because there are other things involved
in determining the shift points, so this only works if everything
else is correct.