Re: [T3] Auto Tranny Questions

On 7 Apr 2001, at 2:24, Greg Mielke wrote:

> Well I pulled the pan on my Trans to service it today and I figured that I
> might as well remove/clean the valve body and governor at the same time. The
> car has sat since I bought it nine years ago. During the valve body
> dissasembly I found the  3rd/2nd gear control valve spring (chapter 8, page
> 12 Bentley manual) wasn't in the valve body! Nowhere to be found!

We have to be careful here because there was a change to the AT for
72-3, but the Bentley only covers the 68-71 transmission. I can't
tell what internal changed there might have been, or if that spring
might have changed. VW does not seem to call out internal parts of
the valve body in their parts lists, so I don't get any help there. I
agree with you that this seems strange.

I had my own 73 AT valve body out a few years ago and I know that
there seemed to be some differences in the valve body passages and
check valves, but I didn't notice a spring missing. I'm really not
that familiar with the ATs and could have overlooked that.

You should also know that the valve bodies and governors are matched
and were only sold as matched pairs, which may explain why parts are
not available separately. If you get a replacement, you should try to
get both. I don't know if it would be possible to replace yours with
a 68-71 pair, but from my limited experience, if it is possible, it
would be desirable. This would also require that you replace the
vacuum modulator.

Have you been able to verify that the vacuum modulator is functional?
You should be able to do that by just sucking on it and seeing if the
plunger that goes in it is free to move as the diaphram moves.

> This was one of those "It ran/drove when I parked there" cars. At least
> that's the story I got from the PO. Would that missing spring be part of the
> reason why it won't shift out of 1st until 30Mph and can't seem to find 2nd
> gear?

I don't know. Perhaps Russ will.

> Last Question: Would it affect anything to place a small magnet in the trans
> pan like on newer Domestic vehicles?

As long as it will stay put, I don't see any harm in it.