Re:Twin Webers

On 4 Apr 2001, at 16:30, Iamkeen@aol.com wrote:

>  '72 square,  bought 2 months ago, PO apparently dabbled in Black
>  arts, but
> was NOT any sort of expert... so, I'm working with twin Weber 34's,
> non-stock dist. (likely a .009?), among other things... so I'm trying
> to make it run pretty, and get the timing right and the carbs synched,
> and I'm wondering:  Is there supposed to be any sort of
> vacuum/breather connection BETWEEN the 2 carbs?  And how's the advance
> link between carbs/manifolds and distributor supposed to go? Can I
> trust the books' (Haynes, Muir, Clymer) info. on timing/point
> gap/etc., or does the aftermarket distributor mean I have to work from
> a different mark or some such? Should I be worried/watching out for
> anything, valve-wise, owing to fatter intake and custom exhaust?

If the intake manifolds have ports then you can connect them
together with a hose.

With modified cars, all the modifications have to be taken into
account. Everything matters. Perhaps the first thing you need to do
is find out exactly which dist you actually have. Reasonable timing
will be that which puts you at about 30 deg total adv at speed.
Once you know what you have then you can find its advance curve
and figure out what the setting should be at idle.

If this dist has a vac adv can it is NOT a 009. I don't think the
Webers have a vacuum adv port, and you don't want to connect the
dist to intake manifold vacuum.

Valves should be set at .004/.006 or .006/.006 (Intake/Exhaust)
and are always important to keep adjusted.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054