RE: Viiiibraaation

Date sent:      	Wed, 04 Apr 2001 07:08:17 -0700
Subject:        	RE: Viiiibraaation
From:           	Chris Picknally <bluesky@verdeonline.com>
To:             	<jadney@vwtype3.org>

Thanks for your feedback Jim.

    I see your point, yes it does seem like it could be missing a
    cylinder
at times though it smooths out at higher RPMs. Might be more of a
weak
spark or cylinder.
    I seem to remember having this problem in the past. At the time I
thought it was my torque converter being out of balance because of
bad fit to the flex plate. (fixed that long ago)

    Seems like most of the vibration is when the car is under load
    when
coming off a stop light, or cruising down the road and you just need
small amount of gas to keep at say 40 mph. If I put the pedal down
it
seems to lesson as the RPM increases. Above 45 mph and up
seems much
smoother.

    The car idles just fine, starts like a champ.
    I did take each plug wire off to see if a cylinder was dead and
    all
checked out. I know that with a completely dead cylinder I would
know
it, especially with all the hills around me. Though a missing cylinder
/ hesitation is why I went though the injectors this past weekend in
the first place. All injectors shot the same amount of fuel while cold
in measured vials. I pulled each injector plug and saw a drop in
RPM
right away.

    As I said while I was there I changed back to the 4 tip empi
    muffler for
the summer. ( I do see a big difference in power on the Hwy with
the 4
tip, and to me it is quieter inside the car)

    I have been running an electronic ignition with a Hot coil for the
    past
year with no problems. One year old Generator, new plug wires, last
valve adjustment was about 1200 miles ago.

    I guess I will go through each connection this weekend again in
    hopes to
find something a miss. I must have a poor connection or ground
someplace. I will also re-check the fuel pressure etc. as well.

It just seems like all this happened with the change in exhaust
system, though I realize I had the connections for the injectors and
plugs off while pulled and cleaned the injectors, looking for
clogging.
    I am frustrated at always having some nagging, hard to find
    problem to
chase down. At times yes I enjoy the challenge, but I just want to
enjoy my car right now and worry about when to wash it instead.
The
car had been running like a champ for the past 6 months, then the
fuel
pump went and now this problem again . . . Ugh!

Any other ideas? Give me some moral support someone!

Chris, Cottonwood Arizona 70 square auto FI

P.S. Jim - do you have the proper head temp sensor for my car, or
one
that would be even better for the HOT AZ weather? I may need one.
How
much $

Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org