Re: [T3] Running Rich

On 5 Apr 2001, at 0:02, Damian Moscatt wrote:

> I live in australia and have just finished retsoring a '63 squareback.
> Everything went fine except for the motor is running very rich. I am
> getting 18.9 miles per gallon. I have changes the jets in my
> carburettors but still no better.. My knowledge on motor is not that
> good. But if someone would care to explain the factors that would
> contribute to a motor running rich and how to eliminate those things
> it would be great..

Here are a few things to check:

Make sure that the chokes are opening up. Once the engine has
been driven a bit the choke valves should be fully open as long as
the engine is running.

Make sure that the mech advance in the distributor is working. You
can see the advance work if you use a timing light while you speed
up the engine.

If these both check out, you may want to check the carbs and
make sure the float valves are working and that the floats still float.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054