RE: type3-d Digest V99 #642

Your problem sounds exactly like engine pinging.  When accelerating push on
the pedal slowly and stop when you hear the rattling.  You may also want to
try using a higher octane gas and see if the noise goes away or occurs less
frequently.  If this is the case then you definitely have engine pinging and
likely need to adjust your timing.
   Toby Erkson
   '95 VW Jetta III GL 2.0L, P-Chipped, Jamex sport suspension
   Portland, Oregon, http://www.icbm.org/