RE: [T3] Roasty Rotor's and Brick Brake Pedal

The pads are dragging on the disc constantly, causing it to heat up.  This
is why it's easier to brake when cold and fails to brake properly when hot
(you are experiencing brake fade, it happens when the brake pads get too
hot).

Possible problems (in probable order):
1)  The brake lines are old and swollen (internally).  They need to be
replaced as they are allowing brake fluid INTO the calipre but not letting
it flow back OUT.  This is causing the calipre to clamp but not unclamp.

2)  Something is wrong with your brake calipre; I would assume the
auto-return mechanism has failed.  You need to immediately get the calipre
fixed/rebuilt/replaced.

3)  Possibly something wrong with the valving in the master cylinder.  I
highly doubt this so make inspection/repair/replacement the last option.

After fixing the braking problem it might be wise to replace the rotor and
have the bearings inspected.  Replace all questionable parts and repack with
fresh grease.

I cannot stress how important it is to get this repaired immediately!  Your
life, your car's life, and the life of others are in jeopardy as long as
your brakes are in this condition.  Get it fixed, NOW!  We don't want to
lose you!!
   Toby Erkson
   '95 VW Jetta III GL 2.0L, P-Chipped, Jamex sport suspension
   Portland, Oregon, http://www.icbm.org/