Re: [T3] vacuum caveat

On 25 Nov 99, at 13:45, Toby B wrote:

> The only thing I'd add to Jim's excellent summary
> is to look carefully at where the "vacuum" port is coming off your
> carb, if that's where you're taking vacuum.  Many have several taps, and
> some give downright WACKY results.  I have a Weber DGAV that has a port
> that gives NO vacuum at idle, but as soon as you crack the throttle, it
> pulls almost full vacuum, and drops progressively as you floor it... I
> think it was set up to retard timing at idle to reduce emissions and
> smooth out the idle.

Good point. My comments were for manifold vacuum, but many carbs, as
well as the dist vac adv pickoff point on the FI engines, are placed
carefully with respect to the venturi and the throttle plate so that
they give "special" results.

Manifold vacuum means the vacuum IN THE MANIFOLD, so you need to find
a tap that goes in there, after the throttle plate.

Jim