Re: [T3] Passing emissions

Well, now he has two (more?) bits of advice which contradict.  I don't see
how he can lean the mixture any more when it is already low on CO level and
expect less HC.  From using a CO meter regularly, screwing in the mixture
screw drops the CO further.
CO at idle (850 rpm + or - 50 rpm for manual trans; add 50 for auto) is
supposed to be between 2 and 4%.

High HC is listed in VW Fuel System manual as due to:-
Ignition timing too advanced;
Plugs dirty or damaged, or gap wrong;
Burned contact breakers;
Coil HT short circuited;
Tight valve clearances, or not seating properly;
(Trigger contacts fault - FI only).

I would (did) add blocked air filter and too many crankcase fumes
(excessive blow-by, which would affect compression anyway).

Please don't weaken it more - that's for when you have too high a CO level
(not enough oxygen in the mixture to burn all the fuel to CO2 and water, so
you get more CO in the mixture).
You'll get worse firing, and more HC (unburnt fuel or oil).

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club
http://www.hallvw.clara.net/