Re: [T3] loose nuts

Hi Volks,

I can't resist basic subjects

>From: <HiReVPunK@aol.com>
>Knocking could just be loose wheel nuts (lug nuts). >>

No such thing as "just" loose wheel nuts. As several of us can attest, that
is more serious than a loose ignition coil or a loose fan belt.

>From: "Dave Hall" <dave@hallvw.clara.co.uk
>"... The garage that fitted them [mudflaps] (what a luxury!!) didn't
>re-tighten the nuts after doing it ..."

Other folks can forget to tighten them.

>From: Dan Hoopes <dan@ewed.net>
>Story about his poor retightening job in younger days

WE can forget to retighten them.

Also, anyone can fail to go around one more time to make absolutely
certain. This means not 1-2-3-4 around the circle, but alternating across
the circle, 1-3-2-4 or some variant of that. This isn't a Type III thing --
it is a wheel thing. If the newbie you are advising wants a spinner, tell
him to go ahead and get one for fun. But insist that s/he also carry in the
car a 1/2" drive 18" breaker and the appropriate sized socket(s) [six-point
is better than twelve-point] for whatever wheel nuts holds wheels to
her/his favored beast. Finally, urge her/him to USE that breaker to start
the nuts loose AND to do the final tightening.

If I ever get to a meet with any of you, the guy telling the story about
stopping along the way to retighten wheel nuts!

Gene