[T3] Fresh Air Hoses

        I just installed a set of dual quietpack mufflers on my 1969
Fastback and,as most of you probably knew but I didn't,I had to
disconnect my fresh air hoses to do so.What do the fresh air hoses
do?What are the advantages or disadvantages of disconnecting them?I'm
sure they have some purpose or they wouldn't be there to start with.All
advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Clarence