Re: VW Stough

Sounds like it's time to replace the generator with a quality rebuilt
or have a good electrical shoip test and rebuild it.  If the
commutator gets rough, it'll eat brushes.  My experience is that you
can get away with one or two brush replacements before the commutator
has to be turned, but you'll have to get that done eventually.  If the
bearings go bad, you'll have some problems with brushes and it doesn't
do the commutator surface much good either.

Knocks at the rear.  Loose lug bolts certainly will do that, easily
checked, just grab the wheel and shake.  I've also had the actual hub
nut come loose on the right hand side, it had a series of clunks when
cornering and taking off from rest.  If this happens, you'll be able
to move the nut by hand.  If so, go ahead and pull the brake drum hub
off and inspect the splines for wear and damage before torqueing the
nut back on.  Mine had quite a bit of wear before I caught on.  It was
probably loose from way back before I bought it and had just gotten
worse over time.  You might want to check the CV joint bolts for
looseness, too.  If any of the boots are cracked or torn, replace
them.  That's also a good time to regrease the CV joints while you've
got the drive shaft off.  I'd clean and repaint the shafts, too, they
tend to get a lot of rust on them and certainly the factory finish is
long gone on most.