[T3] backfire and stalling problem

Hi guys.  I just got a 73 Fastback about a month ago
(first vw).  It's in great shape with a 3yr. old
rebuilt engine and only a few scratches on the paint
and only the smallest bit of rust.  This car has been
taken really good care of and now I treat it like my
child.  I had a problem the other day however with the
engine(maybe).  I was driving along when the engine
stalled for a second, then backfired then the
generator light came on and it stalled, all w/o
warning and within a 10 second period.  I came back
the next day to see what I could do (I have only the
most basic knowledge of cars) but I noticed the
ignition coil bolt had came loose and the coil was
dangling (probably bumping around) I reattached it,
checked the wires, checked connections and looked for
any dirt accumulation or scorch marks but ather than
the loose coil, every thing checked out fine(at least
visually)my baby cranked right up and gave me no
problems.  I was going to have its 1st tune-up in my
hands done by a mechanic until I feel comfortable w/
the engine and its mechanics but I was just curious
about any info someone might have on my problem b/4 I
take it in to a shop blindly ank ask them to try to
fix it. Thanks alot!
  Chico in Athens,GA

=====