Re: [T3] Horn wiring

On 11 Nov 99, at 10:44, Herman Haustein wrote:

> Helllllooo, (anyone seen that Sinefeld )

Was there a special episode or is it just a continuing joke, as in
"Helllloooo, NEWman!"

>     Almost all my wiring is finally working, but, I still have two problems:
> 1. My horn wiring seems to be missing - can anyone give me a reasonable
> explanation of this setup?

Hard to remember OR describe. In a 69: Hot to the horn. Return
from the horn goes back to the steering column where it connects
to an insulated bearing thru to the steering column itself (so yes,
normally the column is at 12 V. The horn ring switch connects the
column to a wire that runs down the hollow column and across the
(insulating) flexible coupling, connecting to the steering gearbox
shaft. The steering gearbox has a ground wire from its top to the
frame of the car (since the front axle beam is otherwise insulated
from the body by its rubber mounts.)

> 2. my reverse light won't work - can anyone give me a reasonable explanation
> of this setup?

Power comes from the hot side of the coil, thru an in-line fuse
holder, joins a 2-wire cable and runs to the reverse gear switch at
the Rt side of the nose of the tranny. The second wire comes back
and connects to a Tee which splits to the backup lights on each
side.

On my 69, I have had lots of trouble with getting these to work. I
FINALLY discovered that the problem was that the bumper WAS
NOT GROUNDED! In spite of being securely bolted to the body
there was NO electrical connection. Next time I get that car out I
will heat up those bolts to break the rust free and exercise them.

Quick comment on screws, bolts, and electrical connections in
general: For any kind of fastener exposed to weathering,
ESPECIALLY if it gave you any kind of trouble getting it apart or
making a good connection, put a dab of any kind of grease on it
before you put it back together.

I do this on anything I take apart, including turn signal lens screws
and bulb contacts.

Jim

-
Jim Adney     jadney@vwtype3.org