Re: [T3] weird happenings...

On 9 Nov 99, at 13:32, mark kaylor wrote:

> help please...this is a major pain in the ass...i've been dealing with
> starter problems for the last 2 months and they won't go away...

Sorry, I've probably asked this before, but is this an AT car?

Have you checked the ground strap that runs between the front of
the tranny and the body?

Have you checked the starter drive end bushing?

A few battery installation notes:

Whenever working with the battery always remove the ground cable
first and install it last.

If you look at the battery posts you will see that they are tapered.
In time and over several removals you will find that the clamps will
no longer fit tight down on these posts because the clamps have
closed down. The fix for this is to remove the clamp from the
battery and the bolt from the clamp, and carefully spread the clamp
until it will easily slip all the way to the bottom of the post. Slip it
on and tighten down the bolt.

NEVER NEVER NEVER hammer the clamps onto the posts!!! This
will break the rather weak bond between the plastic case and the
lead post and allow acid to creep up to the clamp and cause
corrosion. This will eventually ruin your cable. You can't see this
damage, but hammering on the clamps will DEFINITELY ruin the
battery.

If you have corrosion problems on your battery connectors you
should just save yourself some grief and CAREFULLY replace
the battery now. There is no other cure. Because it is so easy to
damage the plastic to lead bond it is far better to do this careful
installation yourself.

There is no better battery cable than the OE one. You cannot buy
anywhere anything nearly as good as this. The clamps that you
can buy that clamp onto the stump of your old cable will make poor
contact after a few months. The reliability is too poor to bother with.

Jim
-
Jim Adney     jadney@vwtype3.org
    Madison WI USA