[T3] weird happenings...

you know i just wrote how stoked i was to have a new battery.  my starter
fired right up.  well yesterday i noticed some hesitation, like i would turn
the key to crank and there would be a 1-2 second pause and then the starter
would turn.  i thought nothing of this since this seems to happen every so
often, it did the same with my old battery.  well today i got in my car to
go to school.  it had been sitting all night, maybe 16 hours or so since i
stopped it yesterday.
it wasn't cold out.  the starter wouldn't work.  i cranked the key and got
nothing but dimming of the dash lights.  luckily i had some help to push her
down a hill to start.
i drove to school, and after stopping the car i disconnected the battery.  i
was assumming that there was something draining my battery when it was
sitting.  so i go out after class, maybe an hour and half later, and hook
the battery back  up.  nothing.  got out my voltmeter.  battery was @ 12+
volts.  then i checked the starting voltage, cause i know the there needs to
be something like 9.6 or more volts when the battery is under the starter
load.  so i have the voltemeter hooked up to the battery, and i start
cranking the key, the volts were @ 12 then slowly went down, then suddenly
the starter kicked in and the car started!!!  what the heck is going on?
the battery is brand new.  i've checked the wire from the battery to the
starter, cleaned it up and tightened it.  maybe the switch?  the situation
from before was the following:  after sitting for a while the starter
wouldn't work.  but after push starting the car, and running it, the starter
would work.  that's why i assumed a bum battery.  and also, how can
something be running my battery down?  there's no spark when i touch the
ground strap to the post, and there should be if something is shorted....
help please...this is a major pain in the ass...i've been dealing with
starter problems for the last 2 months and they won't go away...

mark.
70 square fi.