RE: [T3] Gas Fumes Revisited...

First, don't "top it off" when you fill up for gas.  Once the nozzle shuts
off don't add any more gas!  Second, check the rubber that connects the fuel
intake from the fender to the body.  After many years of abuse from the tire
kicking up debris this becomes old and cracked and fuel can leak out.  I got
my replacement from the dealership, many moons ago, but I can't remember the
price (though I'll bet it was spendy).

   Toby Erkson
   '95 VW Jetta III GL 2.0L, P-Chipped, Jamex sport suspension
   Portland, Oregon, http://www.icbm.org/