[T3] engine noises etc....

well i have an engine noise that's becoming more and more evident.  i have
no idea how to tell what its from.  heres the symptoms.  i used to only hear
it when the engine was hot, ie when the temps were up there and i drove it
hard.  it would make the noise when a load was put on or accelerating or at
low rpm's.  my best descriptiong of the sound is someone tapping the engine
with a hammer.  not super loud, but definetley audible in the front seat.
it seems to have a random pattern, and only lasts for a little bit before it
goes away.
i haven't heard this noise for a while since the temps have dropped.
but yesterday was a little warmer, and took my car for its longest voyage
yet, 50 miles roundtrip.  on the way back home the noise popped up.  and it
happened more often.  low rpms, going up hills, accelerating, etc...in other
words it only happens when i have the gas on, at idle it purrs like a kitten
(or maybe like more like a lion).  its that "tap tap tap...tap tap" then it
goes away and then comes back. sometimes its more of popping sound than a
tapping one.  i know the engine was hot, the oil light was flickering at
idle during the last 10 miles back.  i know i know my engine is beat and
seen its better days.  but my plan is to make it through the winter, over my
spring break in march i hope to have rebuilt engine done and put
in....anyway.  what's up with noise?  as far as gas goes, i'm running either
92 or 93 octane and the timing was right on last time i checked (so i guess
knock is out of the question).
thanks in advance...

mark
70 square fi

ps.  oh yeah....my starter problems were due to the battery, i put a brand
new die hard in yesterday and she fires up instantly...its a feeling i can't
explain in words......