Re: [T3] Points ?

On 3 Nov 99, at 13:32, Craig and/or Denise Woolston wrote:

> Well it was because the points had ridden up the shaft
> and were no longer making square contant with one another.  And now the
> nylon rider was wron funny and they wre trash.  So, when did the points stop
> coming with a collar at the top to prevent this ride up?  I went to my
> spares collection and both of my spares (not Bosch, can't remember why I
> accepted anything else) were free to ride up also.  I found an old set in my
> junk pile and they have a collar so they don't ride up.  So when did they
> start cheaping out?

To my best recollection, the Bosch points never had such a collar
and none was ever necessary. The real culprit here is dirty grease
on the dist cam which causes wear of the cam. This then causes
the rubbing block on the points to wear out quickly.

I clean up the cams when I rebuild a dist. Whenever I do a tune up I
clean off all the old grease and replace it with clean grease. If you
do this your cam should last almost forever.

Jim

-
Jim Adney     jadney@vwtype3.org
    Madison WI USA