Re: [T3] Engine cutting out

On 31 Oct 99, at 1:23, Tekmurf@aol.com wrote:

> Dear Folks,
>
> l have a 1973 T3 Squareback.Auto. Dual carby model.

> 6.There is no fuel going into the engine. l have worked out this is the time
> it takes for the fuel to be used in the carby float chambers.
> 7.When l undo the fuel hoses from the fuel pump there is no petrol. Also in
> the intake hose there is an air or vapour lock.
> 8. l am able to restart the car by drawing fuel up the intake hose with a
> large syringe

This is classic vapour lock, but it should not happen in a type 3
because the fuel tank is higher than the fuel pump so gas should
always flow to the pump, at least if the tank is half full or more.
If your problem goes away with a full tank, then perhaps you just
have 2 bad pumps.

Soo.... There is something keeping gas from flowing from the tank to
the engine. Here's 2 possibilities:

1) Your tank vent system is clogged so that once you pull some gas
from the tank you get a bit of a vacuum above the fuel in the tank
which holds the gas back. This is easy to check: just check to see if
the problem gos away if the gas cap is loosened.

2) There is brass screen filter built into the gas pickup tube
assembly in the bottom of the tank. This can get clogged with dirt
and impede the flow of gas. This filter can be removed and replaced
or cleaned from below by just removing the large aluminum nut that
surrounds the fuel exit. Do this with an "empty" tank because you'll
probably lose all the gas in there while doing this.

There is a formed rubber hose that parallels the filler pipe inside
the RF fender. This hose is usually broken by now and will let a LOT
of dirt and water into your tank. This is definitely worth fixing. If
yours is broken you will always spill gas when filling up and in left
turns. It will also relieve any vacuum and prevent possibility #1. On
a 73 the part # is 311 201 179C, which is NLA in the US, I believe,
so you may need to be creative in fashioning a repair.

As a side note, any time you fix one of these broken hoses you also
need to check the vent system to make sure it is working, because
they often aren't, but the broken overflow hose did the venting
instead.