[T3] starter and gas woes....

well i've pretty much deduced from common reasoning that my starter problems
are stemming from my battery.  checked the all the wires, etc., they're
good.  what happens is in the morning it won't turn the starter.   so i
coast down a hill and pop the clutch.  anywhere from an hour or a maybe a
few more hours later if i let the car sit, the starter will fire right up.
but if its sitting for awhile, all i get is nothing at all, or maybe a weak
attempt to turn it over a few times and then nothing.  so the battery isn't
holding its charge.  its an old battery, one that got drained twice in the
past 3 months and then recharged.  so i'm gonna buy a new battery as soon as
i get the cash, which is real low right now.  so i might be pushing for a
little while.

another thing i've noticed, and mentioned before:  gas.  my car smells very
strongly of gas, i mentioned before about gas in my oil.  i know there is
always gas in the oil, but my car reeks of gas!!  the exhaust is very thick
with the gas smell.  no leaks to be seen.
so let me get this straight:  check the voltage regulator for voltage at
medium rpms.  where is the best place to hook up my voltmeter for this?  as
far as i can tell the throttle switch is set ok.  could it possibly be too
much fuel pressure, at the regulator?  i haven't checked to make sure that
there's 28 psi, i don't have tester thingy.
could this be it?  anyway thanks for all the help so far...

mark
70 square fi.