From: Jim Adney <jadney@vwtype3.org>
To: type3@vwtype3.org <type3@vwtype3.org>
Date:   28 ֏ 1999 00:18
Subject: Re: [T3] Overhaul update

On 27 Oct 99, at 21:09, Herman Haustein wrote:

> Yes I have 86mm cylinders - first oversize OE.
>  About the valves I like to hear them so I adjust them to 0.06" ;-)

Extra clearance means that the cam is already well up its ramp so
when the valve train closes up the shock to it can damage things. I
hope you were just pulling my leg! The people who design cams
work pretty hard to design a smooth ramp to minimize valve train
shock. There are good reasons for this and it would be foolish to
ignore it. Besides, excess valve clearance is valve lift thrown away,
and that causes a loss of power.

> About the clutch I had both flywheel and pressure-plate resurfaced but how
> much does it effect ?

If the clutch geometry is wrong then the pressure plate operating
levers may bottom out before the clutch releases once the driven
disk is worn just a bit. You can force this to work, but it requires
large forces on the cable, pedal assembly, operating arm and
throwout bearing, and this is hard on all of them. It is possible that
your machine shop corrected for the flywheel resurfacing and that
resurfacing the PP is responsible for the change.

Jim
-
Jim Adney     jadney@vwtype3.org
    Madison WI USA