Re: [T3] Surging at idle when warm

On 26 Oct 99, at 10:33, Nico teWinkel wrote:

> That's exactly the problem I'm having!
> It was worse at first - basically doing this when cold too, so I replaced
> the Voltage Regulator (new Bosch 30amp). That cleared it up somewhat, but it
> is still doing the thing you described - and only when the engine is warm.
> I do have new spark plugs and new distributor points, rotor and cap. A
> mechanically inclined friend of mine helped me set the gaps (which are
> preset on the plugs), and the points gap and dwell (?) or whatever they call
> that thing with the distributor points.

Let me add some background to what I posted earlier.

The FI shuts the fuel off if the throttle valve is closed and the rpms
are above some trip point. It does this to reduce emissions,
maximize engine braking, and improve fuel consumption when you
are slowing down with your foot off the gas. If the idle is set too
high it can get above the trip point and cause this "hunting". The
hunting is just the natural result when the engine is running too fast
and the fuel is cut off, then the rmps drop, the FI starts back up,
and the rpms rise back above the trip point again.

At the same time that the engine is warming up, the Auxiliary Air
Regulator should be slowly reducing the amount of air admitted to
the intake; this is an attempt to keep the idle rpms approximately
constant. If the AAR is stuck, or not functioning for some other
reason, the idle speed will increase as the engine warms (because
of the reduced friction with warmer oil.) In this case, the engine
may idle just fine when cold, but will start to hunt after it has
warmed up.

Cars with AT from 70- have an AAR which is electrically heated;
the power is supplied from the fuel pump relay and the wire exits
with the oil pressure switch wire. All other cars have an AAR which
is controlled by a bimetallic spring that sticks down into the engine
case. In both cases the AAR mounts where the carbed engines
have a fuel pump, just to the right of the distributor.

To test your AAR you can just pull off the hose that runs between it
an the air cleaner. With the engine cold this hose should be
sucking in air and blocking this airflow should cause the idle speed
to drop. With the engine warm, blocking this path should have little
effect on the idle speed.

Jim
-
Jim Adney     jadney@vwtype3.org