RE: [T3] accel. cable

On 26 Oct 99, at 7:22, Erkson, Toby wrote:

> I gotta agree with Jim.  I've owned my baby since '85 and I've replaced
> the accelerator cable once.  When my parents owned her I don't think they
> ever had to replaced the cable.

Yeah, I've replaced a couple of cables on other people's cars, but I
don't think any of mine have EVER needed a new one. I think
most, if not all, of the ones I own are the originals.

> My cable broke near the gas pedal connection.  Luckily, I had a set of
> vice-grips so I was able to clamp the tiny portion sticking out of the
> tunnel and accelerate by twisting the grips...shifting was tricky to say
> the least, especially since it was night in the Cascade mountains and I
> was 65 miles from college with a full load of stuff (what a way to start
> ones first year of college, eh? :).

Wow! Sounds like a really good way to take all the pleasure out of
driving....

Jim
-
Jim Adney     jadney@vwtype3.org