Re: [T3] thick, black smoke question...

On 23 Oct 99, at 11:59, mark kaylor wrote:

> well it turns out my starter problem was due to the battery connection, i
> just tightened up the terminal on the starter and cleaned up the post on the
> battery.  starts like a charm.

Glad to hear it. A simple and much too common problem.

> now i have another question, and i think i know what's causing it but not
> sure what to check.  when the engine was idling and the gas pedal was
> depressed, lots of thick black smoke poured out of the exhaust.  i've never
> had this before.  so this is caused by running rich, right?  which is caused
> by????  voltage regulator?  what about the throttle switch thingy?  i only
> have the idiot manual, which doesn't say much about this problem.  any leads
> would be great, as i don't feel like draining the full tank of gas i just
> put in due to something simple.

Don't drain your tank; that's unlikely to be necessary.

First check to make sure that the hose from your pressure sensor to
the intake air distributor is connected at BOTH ENDS.

Then check your system voltage with the car warmed up and the engine
running at medium rpms; it should be above 13.5Volts.

The throttle valve switch will not go out of adjustment on its own,
but if someone has adjusted it then it could be wrong. Pins 14 & 17
are the 2 to look at. Disconnect the plug and connect an Ohmmeter
between those two pins on the switch. With the throttle closed you
should see some very small resistance. As soon as you depress the
throttle slightly you should see the resistance go to infinity.
Verify that this happens every time you move the throttle off idle.

Jim