Re: [T3] Trans prob.

> OK the trans problem:
> Auto trans 71 fastback.
> Fluid lev±ìð{ed in Park on level ground car running and was OK.
>
> Drop the car in to "3" and it takes about 20 seconds and then I'm able to
> take off normally. Seems to be slipping until it locks up.
>
> Drop the car in to 1st and it instantly locks up...no slippage.
>
> During the 2nd to 3rd shift  the engine Rpm's pick up dramatically before
> speed increases.  Definitely slipping here.
>
> I haven't tried anything as the car just found its way in to my driveway
the
> Yesterday.
>
> I'm thinking I'm in for some serious work.  Bentley doesn't list and band
> adjustments or troubleshooting tips that I saw.

Here's what the Clymer Manual has to say about Automatics...

AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE (TROUBLESHOOTING) Clymer Type III Service Manual, 1962 -
1972

I. No drive in any gear - Low fluid level; check. Defective fluid pump;
check pressure as described later. Broken gears.

2. No drive in forward gears - Defective forward clutch.

3. No drive when "1" or "R"  is selected - lst/ reverse band or servo
defective.

4. No drive in 1st with "3"  selected  - One-way clutch defective.

5. No drive in 2nd with "2" or "3" selected - 2nd gear band or servo
defective.

6. No drive in 3rd or reverse - Direct/reverse clutch defective. Incorrectly
adjusted selector level cable.

7. Poor power transfer in reverse - Direct/reverse clutch slipping. Check
fluid level. Check selector cable adjustment.

8. Shift speeds too high - Vacuum unit or hose leaking. Governor valve
defective. Incorrect fluid pressure; check as described later in this
section.

9. Shift speeds too low - Defective governor valve. Incorrect fluid
pressure; check as described later in this section.

10. No upshift to 3rd when "3" selected - Defective governor valve. Could
also be defective direct/'reverse clutch if reverse does not work either.

11. Harsh engagement when shifting from "N" to any gear - Idle speed too
high. Vacuum hose leaking or disconnected.

12. Poor acceleration (engine output good) - Normally caused by defective
torque converter or one-way clutch. b^GQall speed. Could also be low
fluid level or slipping bands or clutches.

13. Transmission fluid discolored or smells burnt - Burnt band or clutch
friction linings.

14. Unusual scraping, grinding, or screeching noises - Defective converter,
one-way clutch, or planetary gear set.

15. Excessive fluid consumption - If accompanied by smoky exhaust, vacuum
unit is probably leaking and engine is drawing fluid out. Otherwise, oil
seal between transmission and final drive is leaking.

16. Kickdown doesn't operate - Check kick-down adjustment Adjust or replace
kickdown switch. A dirty valve body can also cause this.

17. Vehicle "creeps" excessively at idle - Idle speed too high.

18. Engine races excessively during upshifts - Improper fluid level; check.
Burnt or worn band clutch friction linings. Improper fluid pressure; check
as described later.

Nathan Jacobsen
'62 NB
'69 SB M/T