RE: [T3] Squareback Cooling - NACA Ducts?

Sorry for this (This is probably not helping anyone) but I want to
clear. Please don't take this the wrong way Jim. You give out alot of
good info and I definitely appreciate it.

On Sun, 30 May 1999 17:49:25  Jim Adney wrote:

>If the thermostat is gone, but everything else is in proper place
>then you are right, the flaps will be open, but it is a little hard
>to claim that the same person who left the thermostat out went ahead
>and did everything else right.

    Every part of the cooling system was intact , I removed the
thermostat and still have it.

>There is NO J-pipe that is bigger than the stock heat exchanger and
>the header doesn't fit anywhere near where the thermostat belongs. I
>suspect that what someone has done is put type 1 J-pipes and headers
>on your engine and now you think that they are "special." The type 1
>par½‘–ore "inboard" than the type 3 parts, but I would still be
>surprised if they interfered with the thermostat because I thought
>all these engines used the same thermostat holder and thermostat.

I don't think that my J-pipes are "special". The exhaust system is a
custom  1 1/2 inch full merged (long extractor) header built for Type
3's by S&S Headers in AZ that I put on the engine. The pipe under 1&2
cylinders runs under the push rod tubes and not under the head. This is
why it does not clear the thermostat, as much as I wish it did. A Type 1
header will not fit on a engine with type 3 cooling due to the lack of
clearance in the front on the engine. Many on the Type 1 headers also
interfere with the thermostat. Mine is similiar except that the 2&4
pipes curve outward to clear the fan housing then into the collector.
The system has all the pipes the same length.
BTW it pulls way harder with the big tuned header, I don't think I could

Jason Mooth
'67 Fastback
Oahu