Re: [T3] Tell-tale oil drips

On 29 May 99, at 18:13, Justin wrote:

> I have a slight leak from the left valve cover.  It is on sqaure and has
> a new cork gasket.  Should I seal it with Permatex/aviation cement or
> get a rubber gasket set for the covers?  The right side leaks ever so
> slightly, but the left leaves a noticeable drip when I park.  I can see
> that the oil is running down the outside of the heat exchanger.

I find that some of the tan cork gaskets are just very thin; the
black rubberized cork ones are much thicker. Tha good gaskets tend to
pretty much fill the recess in the valve cover; the cheap ones rattle
around loose in there and are to be avoided.

Use any kind of gasket cement between the gasket and the cover; I
just use a dab at each corner and another in the middle of each long
side. This just keeps it in place while you put the cover on.

NEVER put any gasket compound between the gasket and the head. Make
sure the head sealing surface is clean; oil here is okay, even good,
but bits of old stuck gaskets should be cleaned off.

Jim