RE: [T3] Squareback Cooling - NACA Ducts?

On 28 May 99, at 21:29, Jason Mooth wrote:

> I thought that if the thermostat was gone that the flaps would be wide
> open and max air would flow across engine? How could that cause
> overheating? I run a big header on my Type 3 which does not allow room
> for a thermostat because of the J-pipes. I know it is good for engine
> life to have a thermostat so that the engine warms up properly but here
> in Hawaii its 75-85 F , 365 days so I'm not too concerned about chilly
> days. Also, isn't a lean condition more dangerous and more likely to
> cause overheating and damage. A rich condition just wastes gas and will
> foul spark plugs.

If the thermostat is gone, but everything else is in proper place
then you are right, the flaps will be open, but it is a little hard
to claim that the same person who left the thermostat out went ahead
and did everything else right.

There is NO J-pipe that is bigger than the stock heat exchanger and
the header doesn't fit anywhere near where the thermostat belongs. I
suspect that what someone has done is put type 1 J-pipes and headers
on your engine and now you think that they are "special." The type 1
parts fit more "inboard" than the type 3 parts, but I would still be
surprised if they interfered with the thermostat because I thought
all these engines used the same thermostat holder and thermostat.

75-85 may seem tropical to us, but our engines need to be at about
165 F to be happy.Ècì“ Hawaii seems chilly to them on startup.

You're right about rich and lean. I will add, however, that rich can
wash down the cylinder walls and wear out the rings.

Jim