Re: [T3] Squareback Cooling - NACA Ducts?

On 28 May 99, at 15:18, OurVWs@aol.com wrote:

> I have a '68 Squareback which continues to have some problems with cooling
> (although it goes in next week for sort of a tune up - with an exhaust gas
> analyzer) . Airflow to the engine as I understand it is fairly limited..
> What I was thinking about, was installing some NACA Ducts in the side of the
> body to hoses under the rear seat and through to the engine compartment -
> probably mounted fairly low, to allow for what I would believe would be a
> substantial amount additional air flow.  Am I thinking right here?

While some overheating problems are certainly possible, the most
common one is just that due to an uninformed friend who passes on the
"knowledge" that "Those cars all overheat." Is there something that
leads you to believe that there is something wrong with your car? If
your car is a 68 which is still FI, then it would benefit from
upgrading the brain from an "A" to a "B". If it is already a "B" then
you should be set except for possibly reducing the compression ratio
at the next rebuild.

As others have pointed out there will be virtually no benefit from
blowing more air into the engine compartment. The main thing to
understand is that these cars do just fine, cooling wise, as long as
everything is working correctly. And if something isn't working
correctly, the solution is to fix the problem rather than dwelling on
the symptom (if you have a symptom.) Of course it may require some
effort to diagnose the problem, but at least you have the list to
help you.

Jim