Re: [T3] SWF Wiper Blades

On 28 May 99, at 6:04, Jaime Gurrola wrote:

> Inge, my new 67 Fastback, is in need of wiper blades.  It still has the
> original SWF wiper blades but they are loose.  I would like to replace
> them with original equipment not the plastic stuff, if I can help it.
> Are these SWF wiper blades still available? I was looking at them
> closely and what they need is a new rivet at the center pivot point and
> new paint.  Anyone here with machining skills to drill and re-rivet  32
> year old wiper blades? In addition, there is a white plastic insert in
> the blade that fits unto the wiper arm and acts as sort of "bushing"
> (for lack of a better term) that the blade can pivot on when being
> serviced.  This plastic is intact on one but half gone on the other
> blade.  I had never even seen this before.

I see you've already gotten a number of responses to your question,
but many of them were from people who had never seen the original SWF
blades. I doubt that you will find new blades anywhere, and replacing
the rivet is probably an exercise in futility, although it might be
possible. I do have a number of old SWF blade holders, but I doubt if
I have any of the correct rubber inserts for them. I think I bought
the ENTIRE stock of my dealer about 15 years ago. While I still have
a few of these, they are in random lengths, not for our cars.

The white plastic bushing originally had a wing on it to prevent the
blade from swing too far in either direction. How many of you
remember THOSE? I doubt if any of mine, or yours, are intact. They
broke off at the slightest unsuspecting touch.

So, I think I could get you good holders, but where were you planning
to get fresh rubber? Is there a source out there? If so I'd like some
for my older cars, too.

Jim