Re: [T3] Squareback Problems

On 28 May 99, at 13:37, Michael Sharphouse wrote:

> I have a 1971 squareback with fuel injection. When iÝ.;ïcar there
> are 3 problems. The first is that the accelerator gets stuck. The second
> it smokes a little when you start it up or floor it. The third problem
> is that there is a strong odor coming from the engine (heard it is from
> the fuel injector)

Stuck accelerator: feel under your gas pedal and you will find a
plate welded to its back; the top edge of this plate has a sharp
corner that will catch under your carpet and keep the pedal from
coming back up. You can shift the carpet back up a bit and/or file
the sharp "hook" off that piece. Both will help. Took me 3 years to
find this on MY 71!

Smoke. Well, that may just mean that it's getting old. How many
miles? How many rebuilds?

Smell? Of gasoline? Look for wet hoses and leaking fuel overflow hose
under the RF fender. Look under the gas tank also for wet, leaking
hoses. If you have bad hoses replace all of them at the same time.

Jim