Re: [T3] Exploding generator pulley

On 26 May 99, at 15:36, Jason Mooth wrote:

> I recently replaced my generator and when I went to swap the pulley I
> bent it a little so I ordered another one from Bill and Steve's. It did
> fine for about 75 miles or so until today. On the way home I heard and
> loud "clank" from the engine and the generator light came on. I
> immediately pulled over to inspect. The outside pulley had cracked into
> several pieces.  I thought I had the proper deflection on the belt so I
> don't think I did anything wrong. I have been adjusting these things for
> years and this a first for me.

I know of only 3 possible reasons for this to happen:

Belt is too tight, but you have done this before, so this seems
unlikely. BTW, the type 3 belt does not have to be very tight, I
would say that they run nicely on the loose side. This is because it
is only driving the generator and not the fan also like on a beetle.

Regulator is going bad and is causing the generator load to go on
HARD and suddenly. Has your regulator been giving those loud clicks
as you drive? This is the one kind of pulley failure that I have
seen.

Cheap pulley. Speculative, I've never seen it, but it might be
possible.

Jim
-