Re: [T3] Jump Starting

On 23 May 99, at 20:22, Steve Glavas wrote:

> Are there any concerns with jumpstarting a fuel injected T3?  For example,
> frying the ECU?  I haven't had to yet, but I would like to be prepared if
> there is a need in the future.

Jump starting (using jumper cables from one car to another) a FI car
is fine AS LONG AS you get the polarity right. If you make the
connections with the donor car running and the key on the FI car OFF
there will be no problems, because if you make a mistake and start to
hook it up backwards there will be lots of sparks and you will undo
the connection quickly. During this time, with the key OFF, there has
been no power applied to the ECU, so there is no chance of harm.

Once you get the cables attached properly, just run the donor car at
medium RPM for a minute to charge up the FI car's battery, and then
go for it with the jumper cables still connected.

I've done this hundreds of times.

Jim

---------------------------------------------------------------Țățrch old messages on the Web!  Visit http://www.vwtype3.org/list/