Re: [T3] Embarassed by the mechanics

On 17 May 99, at 14:53, Chad Montandon wrote:

> 70 FI squareback

> In my last post ,saga part II, I
> mentioned how I changed the boots, gaskets, spacers, on one side of my
> car.  I also reset the timing after throwing it off a tad by removing and
> installing my distirbutor to clean the trigger points.  After I did all of
> this my car ran horrible....it kept wanting to cut off and would
> occasionally go to a super high idle. Well toda¨ªloshed the job by
> replacing the boot, etc.. on the other side...now my car runs even worse.
> It doesn;t want to stall anymore, it just doesn't want to run at all.
>
> As I turned the key I could hear the fuel pump come on, but for the first
> time I heard something in the engine compartment make a horrible buzz
> similar to the fuel pump.  What is this?

Don't feel bad; your situation is not unique. ALL of us have been
there at one time or another.

I suspect that you have inadvertantly bumped a hose or a wire as you
were changing parts. My general advise on something like this is to
never replace something simply in the HOPE that it will improve
something. Be sure of your problem before you start trying solutions.

Things are tight in the eigine compartment. Make sure that both ends
of ALL the hoses are attached. Make sure that if you removed anything
you got it back in the right place.

If you removed the intake air runners to replace the intake gaskets,
did you carefully clean under there so that the pieces could fit flat
and seal? Check the pressure sensor hose. Check the wire coming out
of the cyl head temp sensor; if you bumped it it could be shorted to
ground where it comes out of its crimp; they are fragile there. Are
you sure you did the timing right?

Another word of advise: You made a major mistake in doing more work
before finding out what went wrong the day before. Now you have twice
as many possibilities of things and places where something might be
wrong. Don't do any more "improvements" until you get yourself back
to where you started.

Good luck. If you really are STUCK, you should see if there is anyone
knowledgable on the list that is close to you. Post your location. It
is VERY hard to find mechanics who know anything at all about these
cars.

Jim