Re: [T3] Gas in the crankcase

In a message dated 99-05¿mÁJ0:57 EDT, robyballard@kih.net writes:

>     As I'm draining the crankcase, the oil is coming out REALLY fast.
>  Thought this was a bit odd, since the car hadn't been started in a while.
>  Put my fingers in the stream and bring it to my nose, STRONG gas smell.
>
>      Other than a)  a bad seal at the fuel pump (mechanical) and how do I
>  confirm, or b) PO putting gas in the oil tube, how could gas have gotten in
>  the crankcase?
Same thing happened to me...replaced the fuel pump...no more gas in the
crankcase. A busted/cracked diaphram (sp) will cause fuel to ented into the
crankcase.

>      Also, I said the car started / ran fine, what's the possibility of me
>  having caused major damage to the innards?
It is possable that the gears galled due to lack of proper lubrication. This
of course depends on how dilluted the oil became along with how long the
engine ran. Don't run it any more you find out why fuel is getting into the
crankcase.

Tom
'68 Fastback (Thumper)
'70 Bug (Bailey)