Re: [T3] Exhaust leak, rear heat exg, and overflow(long)

On 16 May 99, at 0:28, Jacob Schroeder wrote:

> Ok, it's kind of late now when i'm writing this, so please forgive me if
> parts don't make sense.  Ok, first of all, when i installed my new 4-tip
> muffler, between the lower exhaust pipes and the heat exchanger,  i used
> some muffler putty crap that i used to patch up my heat exchangers with,
> to fill the gap around the heat exchanger pipe and the lower exhaust
> pipes, i hope you know what i'm talkin about, anyways, that stuff has
> cracked now, and is falling off, any suggestion on what i should use to
> fix that, or is it really necessary?  I haven't got any backfiring yet, so
> i don't think it's leakin, just curious.

That stuff always does that. Don't bother with it. You need the
standard VW clamps and seals. These may not do the job if your heat
exchanger pipes are necked down too much from rust.

> Ok, here's another one, I've always been wanting to get my exhaust system
> back to stock, but, i can't find the rear heat exchangers anywhere.  Does
> anyone have any suggestions, i have seen every other part at Larry's
> Offroad place, i got their catalog from a show there a few months back,
> but they don't have the rear heat exchangers, the ones that go from the
> muffler, to the fan shrouding, and the elbow pieces.  Any suggestions
> would be greatly welcomed.

Haven't bee available for YEARS. Your best bet would be one of the VW
wrecking yards in the SW that specialize in scavenging parts like
this.

> At last, but certainly not least, the rubber overflow tube for my gas tank
> is rotted away so bad, that when i'm filling the tank, and it get's full,
> just enough to shut off the pump, you know when it clicks off, then i hear
> the sound of splashing gas on the ground and on my tires.  And then the
>Ë–•f gas until i get a really low tank, it drives my parents crazy.  I
> can't find a replacement anywhere, i've looked in all my catalogs, and
> it's not like just a piece of fuel line, it looks like a one piece rubber
> tube, i'm sorry that's the best i can describe it, but i'm tired, i'm sure
> someone knows about it, and also, how hard is it to fix,

That part changed in mid 72. If you have the early 1/4-turn gas cap I
have those hoses for $45 including shipping. If you have the late,
screw-in cap, then that part is NLA and you will have to improvise.

It is very important to fix this. The gas spilling out and the
"rolling Molotov cocktail" aspect is one thing, the other is the
absolutely incredable amount of water that can be pumped into your
gas tank when you drive in the rain.

Jim