Re: [T3] Horn fook-up

On 15 May 99, at 8:20, Keith Park wrote:

> THIS ONE IS NOT INTUITIVE!!

Absolutely! But are you sure that what you've described is the stock
setup? It all changed in 71 and the Bentley shows the late scheme. I
was SURE I remembered seeing a diagram in one of my manuals, but I
can't find it just now.

> your horn button is connected to the axle beam with a wire across the
> rubber coupler, it grounds the floating axle beam when the button is
> pressed. the beam must be floating-electrically and not hit the lower
> torsion arm on the left side when turning as the speedo cable grounds the
> steering knuckle.
>
> the horn gets unswitched B+ from the fuse box and the ground side is
> connected to the axle beam.  If everything is right this all works.

Here is what I THINK I remember.

Yes, one side of the horn gets 12V directly from the fuse box.

The axle beam has a wire jumper directly to ground across the front
axle beam mounting bushes. There is a second ground jumper wire
across the steering coupling to permanently ground the steering
shaft.

The other side of the horn goes to a wire that wraps loosely a couple
of times around the steering shaft just above the steering gearbox.
This gives it enough flex that it can wrap and unwrap freely as the
wheel is turned lock to lock. This wire has an extra protective
sleeve around it to protect it from abrasion. This is the weak point
of the system. This wire then goes all the way up the center of the
steering shaft and comes out the top where it is clamped to thŠ³+·ring.

Pressing the horn ring shorts that wire to the grounded steering
column and energizes the horn.

I want to admit that I am not 100% sure about this and also make it
clear that this circuit has always seemed quite counter-intuitive.
It's been a long time since I had to repair the wire on my 68 which
finally wore through where it rubbed against the steering column as
it rotated. This made the horn honk whenever I made just the "wrong"
kind of turn.

Someday I'll be getting my 69 out of storage and I'll be able to
verify this.

Jim