Re: saga of betrayal

On 14 May 99, at 1:15, TOASTEDT3@aol.com wrote:

> I went out and
> looked, sure enough one of the wires was broken right where it went into
> the plug.  I jerry (jurry?) rigged it up (stripped off some insulation ,
> crammed it back into the connector and electrical taped it up.  Seems to
> run better, but havent been on the morning trip to work where it usually
> surges yet.

Don't leave it in this state. This kind of repair will fail you when
you least want it.

> I have a few questions though.  If this sensor wasnt working, would the
> car surge and lurch like that when cold but seem to run ok when hot?

No, I don't think so.

> I didnt get a great look at the connector becasue it was getting dark, but
> can I push out the metal part on that one side of the commector, re crimp
> the wire in there and then plug it back in?  I dont understand how to
> crimp those things if they're inside the plastic housing

You're right. You have to pull the metal part out, solder the wire to
the metal part and put it back in the connector body. To get it out
there is a small spring finger or tab that must be pushed in first,
then while that is pushed in, you must push the metal part out of the
plastic. I made a special tool to help me do this, but there are many
possible ways.

My tool is just a 1/16" piece of stiff wire with a flat filed on one
side. I push it in the face of the connector where the flat can press
against the tab and then the metal part can be withdrawn.

Jim