From: Jim Adney <jadney@vwtype3.org>
To: type3@vwtype3.org <type3@vwtype3.org>
Date: 14 May 1999 04:05
Subject: Re: [T3] engine questions???

On 13 May 99, at 19:26, Dave Hall wrote:

> I guess rockers with too much gap make a tapping sound, though, so it
> could need doing.  If the valve stem ends are dished, you could have too
> much clearance even if they are to specification.

While all this is true, it is important to understand that it is only
normal for valves to tighten up with wear. If they ever start
loosening then there is something else wrong that will not be fixed
by just adjusting valves.

So normal wear tightens the valves, and when they get a little too
tight they never close completely and they burn. In general, this
only happens to exhaust valves.

Jim